28 July 2011

Arts of Being Discreet

My coffee was found: in the laundry basket. I did laundry at my sister-in-law's and had placed the empty travel mug in the basket to be able to make only one trip out to the car. It's strange. I'm efficient.

Hi friends. I am most likely correct in using this adage, because those that most likely will read this will be my friends and/or family.

At this point in my job search, I'm feeling a little down, a little blue, as they say.  It's been one year and almost three months since I graduated from the exceptional institute known as Trinity Christian College.  I had long hair, a big smile, and really cute shoes.  Suffice it to say: I still have those really cute shoes and that's about it.

I didn't have these. You would think I'm crazy. But they were similar.
So anyway, no one really wants to read a blog that complains a lot, and I know people like pretty pictures.  I've just finished watching the Season 4 Finale of Mad Men and I'm completely caught up.  Because I'm completely caught up, it also means that I'm completely obsessed with the actors and the fashion and the era, right down to the desk lamps. (Starting to feel like I need to put my name on the bottom of my grandparent's things to save them from Salvation Army).
  
I think it's fair to say that while I don't have the job I would like to have, I also don't have the spending money I would like to have. But that can't stop me from Microsoft Windows shopping.  It's shocking to find so many items come up on Craigslist after you type "Eames".  People know what's hot. And you gotta give the people what they want!
Herman Miller, mid-century, Danish modern, Mad Men, Don Draper.  These keywords are guaranteed to bring you something jaw-dropping when you're browsing Craigslist.  (Mostly in love with the sideboards I've found.)

If I could choose one article of mid-century design to put in my own home, I would choose the Eames Shell Rocking Chair.  Probably white.
It's hard to feel like the world sucks if you're sitting in one of these--better get me one.
So anyway, you're probably wondering what the heck my title (discretion) has to do with this post.
It's something to do with: being uncomplaining on facebook when everyone else is being little babies about the heat and their children and the amount of money something cost (then don't freaking buy it), being gracious about the things I do have, and learning to draw the line between public discontent and private so-on and so-forth. 

Today, I will write a beautiful cover letter. And I will expect an interview, because if I do not expect one, my cover letter will give me away as a pessimistic, morose, run-of-the-mill under-employed gal.

I'm gonna go grab some vitamin D and bucket o' coffee. There's still some optimism left out there.

2 comments:

  1. We must be related. I spend most days wondering where I left my coffee. (Frequently in the microwave, where I've re-heated it for the umpteenth time...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old post, I know, but way back when I tried to read your blog my internet died. Eric and I just moved to Michigan and I'm having the unemployed blues. And enjoying a cup of coffee while I have them. This made me smile.

    ReplyDelete